El Cajon is a city within San Diego County. It takes its name from Rancho El Cajón, which was named for the box-like shape of the valley around it. The city has been nicknamed “The Box” because of this.
El Cajón, Spanish for “the box,” which was first recorded on September 10, 1821, also an alternative name for sitio rancho Santa Mónica. The boxed nature of the valley is what gave it its original name. However, due to modern development, the town’s post office adopted the expanded name El Cajon in 1905.
The history of the El Cajon Valley in California. The land was initially granted to the Roman Catholic Church as part of a series of land grants called ranchos. In the Mexican era, individual titles to plots of land were granted. The original purpose of the 1834 secularization legislation was to divide church property among the former mission Indians. Still, most of the grants were made to rich “Californios” of Spanish background. In 1845, Governor Pio Pico confiscated the lands of Mission San Diego de Alcala and granted them to Dona Maria Antonio Estudillo. The grant included present-day El Cajon, Bostonia, Santee, Lakeside, Flinn Springs, and the eastern part of La Mesa.
The article discusses how the land grants from the Mexican-American War were honored and how one particular land grant – Rancho El Cajon – was acquired by Thomas W. Sutherland. It also discusses how Isaac Lankershim bought the bulk of Pedrorena’s Rancho El Cajon holdings and employed Major Levi Chase (a former Union Army officer) as his agent. The article also mentions how Knox established a hotel there to serve the growing number of people traveling between San Diego and Julian.
El Cajon was a city founded in 1912 that was known for its grape, citrus, and tomato agriculture in the 1960s and 1970s. Frontier Town, Big Oak Ranch, was a tourist attraction that closed around 1980. Cajon Speedway was a 70-acre race track that operated from 1961 to 2005.
Wells Park is an 18-acre park with a lighted ball field, one lighted soccer field, large trees providing shade, picnic tables, a playground with handicap accessible equipment, and paved walkways. It’s a great spot for walkers and joggers who take advantage of the fitness stations situated around the perimeter.
El Cajon Valley High School
El Cajon Valley High School is a awesome place to go to school. It’s a comprehensive public school that serves students in grades nine through twelve and has been around since 1955. The Braves are the mascot of ECVHS, which is a great place to learn and grow.
El Cajon Valley High school is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
El Cajon Valley’s athletic teams, called the Braves, which they compete in the Valley League of the Grossmont Conference and they also compete in California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) – San Diego Section. The school field teams in various sports, including baseball, basketball, cross country running, field hockey, football, soccer, softball, swimming, boys tennis, girls tennis,s track & field,d boys volleyball,l girls volleyball,l water polo., as well as wrestling.
Stoney’s Neighborhood Park
You can enjoy a day of play in the shade at Stoney’s Neighborhood Park. This park is named after Buell “Stoney” Stone, known for his philanthropy and community involvement in and around El Cajon area. Stoney frequently mentioned that his efforts were “all about the kids.” The park is at 195 East Douglas Avenue, opposite the downtown El Cajon library.
Intro To City:
Point of interest 1: 1153 E Madison Ave, El Cajon, CA 92021, United States
Point of interest 2: 1035 E Madison Ave, El Cajon, CA 92021, United States
Point of interest 3: 195 E Douglas Ave, El Cajon, CA 92020, United States